Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How to Fend off the Dreaded Winter Sickness

How to fend off the dreaded winter sickness.

(Or if you've already got it, how to beat it)

It begins. You hear the sniffles of your children, and you see the tissue boxes coming out at your office. It's time for the FLU. Just the word makes your head hurt. According to WebMD , 5-20% of Americans get the flu every year. In other words, you don't take precautions, you have a good chance of spending a forced sick-cation. Here are some sure-fire ways to keep yourself in the 80% this year

  1. Flu Shots - This one you can take or leave depending on your personal stance. The CDC recommends everyone the age of 6 months or older getting a flu shot. The biggest pros and cons of each side are:
    • Pros
    • According to the CDC, getting a flu shot cuts your risk of getting the flu by 70% and the vaccine protect you all season.
    • Cons
    • You could get the flu anyway and there are slim chances of having side effects or even getting other sicknesses. (Like the flu, go figure). There also people who theorize getting the shot will give you aids. So there you go.
  2. Common sense things that I will sum up in one point. Wash your hands. Clear and simple. Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough. Okay, you don't have to wear a medical mask (Although it might help), but did you know the flu can spread from people up to 6 ft away from eachother? Just from talking, coughing and sneezing. Think twice about having lunch with any sick workmates!
  3. Keep your body healthy. Just like a dirty kitchen is more likely to pull in ants, a unhealthy body is more likely to get sick. Get regular sleep, eat nutritious food, exercise and don't stress out.
But oh no. I'm already feeling congested… Is that a sneeze coming on?

What to do if you've already got the flu.

So you're reading this article just a week too late. Well don't worry, I'm leaving a special segment just to help the infirm.

  1. Rest. If you can! I know sometimes when you are heavily congested it's hard to sleep. (Or maybe your nose keeps running when you try and lay on your side) Try a cold/flu medicine with sleep aid, and try fluffing up some pillows behind you and sleep at an incline. This will really help drain down from the head. Also, if you can, keep a humidifier running while you sleep, it's amazing for those nights when breathing in stings your raw throat.
  2. If you choose, Medicate. As previously mentioned, try a cold/flu medicine like Nyquil or Dayquil. Mucinex is great for congestion. Also, if your throat is really raw, the throat spray is amazing.
  3. Be prepared. Make one trip to the store. Think of everything you will need. This helps so much in the long run, believe me. Don't underestimate how crummy the flu can make you feel, so get it all now.
    Pick up:
    • Tissues
    • A Thermometer (If you don't already have one)
    • Medicine
    • Chap stick (Dry lips are the worst while sick)
    • Lotion (Stay moisturized!)
    • Soap / Hand Sanitizer
    • Most importantly - lots of liquid whether water, juice or tea. Try soup for an easily prepared comfort food.
  4. If you're living with others in the house, try using plastic utensils, plates and paper towels, this will help cut down on the spread of germs around the house.
  5. Stay hydrated! The worst thing you could do is let yourself get the flu AND dehydrated. Try water, sports drinks or broth. Nice warm tea helps warm your insides and relieve congestion.
  6. Look online for home remedies. Different things work for different people so don't be afraid to try! What have you got to lose? One remedy is using Honey. Quoting from How Stuff Works "A hacking cough can keep you and every other household member up all night. Keep the peace with honey. Honey has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine for coughs. It's a simple enough recipe: Mix 1 tablespoon honey into 1 cup hot water, stir well, and enjoy. Honey acts as a natural expectorant, promoting the flow of mucus. Squeeze some lemon in if you want a little tartness." (Check out the link below for the article this is taken from)

Whether you are fighting the hoards of sick people or your body has already given into the flu, I hope these tips help you to have an enjoyable winter. Do you have any tried and tested tips for preventing or treating the dreaded flu? Please share below!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment


GFC Followers

About Bluffit

Is there something you have wondered how to do? Googled to no avail? Welcome to Bluffit. The site that will instruct all.